When I originally planned to do this one sheet design, the idea was to quickly kit-bash some household items together to create a crude spaceship design that I would then photograph. However I'm slowly realising with my Video City project that nothing is quite that simple. Instead I've worked on this particular aspect of the project for close to a year, between building a fairly detailed 1:72 scale ship, learning how to airbrush and model paint as well as creating the planet, and doing the photoshop work. It ended up being quite involved. However I'm really pleased with how it turned out, especially as I haven't done any model making since I was a young teen - and I was never especially good at it then!
As with some of my other one sheets, I wanted to use traditional media and techniques in order to invoke an 80's visual effects tech feel to the piece. Inspired by the legends of the ILM model department, I decided to sacrifice a few of my own model kits that I'd collected (but never built) over the years, plus a few I bought specifically for this project. The goal was to try and create an era appropriate production model that would work well on camera. This would involve kit-bashing, scratch building, airbrushing and detail painting as well as adding decals and washes - all of which are well outside my comfort zone.
I really enjoyed creating the model, although it was a lot of trial and error to get something I felt would photograph well. I also found the airbrush to be exteremly satisfying to use and am excited to use it on the next element of my Video Store project. More to come!